Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bringing Paradise to the Patio

It’s SPRING BREAK and I’m all by myself in Tucson. But there’s nothing new with that. I don’t know how many Spring breaks I’ve seen, but I’ve never taken part. Before, I just never had the money. I couldn’t afford to pay for a trip, but more importantly, I couldn’t afford to take time off work. I stayed home and watched everyone’s pets, got their mail, and watered a fern here and there. I had so many keys, you’d think I was janitor.

But this year was going to be different. I have money. And I can actually take time off work. But this time, I just wasn’t thinking about SPRING BREAK. I wasn’t hit over the head every few days with new plans and great adventures. And when one of my teachers said, “I know most of you aren’t going to be here Friday, but try to show up anyway.” I was Shocked. What was happening this Friday that most people would be gone? I honestly had no idea SPRING BREAK had arrived.

So here I am in the desert. No ocean, limited bikinis, and very few mini umbrellas in fluffy drinks. So late Saturday night, probably after a six pack, I made a decision. If I can’t go to the tropical paradise, by God, I’ll bring it to me. A little melodramatic? I think so.

First, I had to set the mood. I made a killer play list on me itunes (and ipod). It’s full of Clash, Specials and Harry Belafonte. It makes you shake that money maker regardless of your own wants and needs.
Next, I went to Home Depot and bought a Palm tree. It’s a Queen Palm and quite nice.
Then I ran to the grocery store and bought lots of rum and mixers, a pineapple and some mango.

I found some old Hawaiian shirts and threw them on. I made a nice Strawberry PinaColada, with an umbrella, and sat under the shade of my new palm tree. Mind you, I’m in a patio four feet by six feet. But the neighbors are jealous.

I do have to catch up on some school work this week. But I figure, if I finish by five everyday, I can party it up every night. Just me and my Palm tree.

If you have great ideas on how to bring the paradise to the patio, let me know.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mr. Chair said...

Easy: Kiddie Pool. Maybe some Christmas lights arranged in a canopy. Definitely get a wide-brimmed straw hat. Gallons of rum. Maybe a little Desmond Dekker. Watch Blue Hawaii. You got yourself a Hukilau.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home