Thursday, January 27, 2005

Crap on a crap cracker! It's Mr. Chair's Comic Book Pick of the Week!!!

The comic books out this week are so good, it's not fair to all the other comic books. I have a very difficult task ahead of me, and I'm not up to it. So I'm going to cheat and mention many new comic books, followed by an official pick.

It's nothing short of an event when a new Planetary comes out, and the latest issue, "The Torture of William Leather," is no exception. Ellis has described Planetary as a repository for his decades of research into comic book mythology. But that's an understatement, because, like Starman and Marvels and Kingdom Come, it's a powerful look at what these fantastic stories mean to our culture. But it's not the pick of the week. Sleeper, by Ed Brubaker, is also particularly good this week as it follows a night out on the town with Miss Misery, a good-hearted girl who can only survive as long as she's inflicting suffering. Then there was Human Target, by Peter Milligan, with another spot-on topical one-shot. Oh my god it doesn't stop, because Ellis knocked another UF Four out of the park with the coming to term of his "N-Zone" story arc. No more I can't possible take any more! Okay maybe just a little bit of Y: The Last Man, with some big revelations, character development and a little monkey named Ampersand.

Phew, I'm worn out, and we haven't even gotten to the MCCBPOtW, which is ..... "WE3," by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. The real winner this week is me, of course, for getting to read all of these. But since I had to pick one, it's the final installment of Morrison's tear-jerking, ultra-violent action miniseries about cute little animals mounted with assault weapons. Frank Quitely and Grant Morrison should never be apart. Some of the best splash pages you'll see this year are in WE3. And the heroic role of a housecat holds a special place in my heart. Deny my pick! I dare you!

2 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After such a heated debate last week, I was hoping for some more this week... But I can't. I read all those books, except HUMAN TARGET (which is weird since I'm such a Millagin freak). But I agree with your pick.

I've shown people WE3 and I remember one splash in paticular. It was a man being shot by the bunny. The "camera" was behind him, so first we saw the bullits, then his torn body, then the bunny letting him have it. I showed it to a friend and he said it was possibly the greatest image he'd ever seen. And he's an artist and studies art in school, so he's seen the "masters" at work.

I was going to buy it anyway, because of Morrison and Quitley, but it was the slogan on the ad that got me the most excited.

NATURE GAVE THEM CLAWS
MAN GAVE THEM GUNS

It doesn't get any better than that.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Mr. Chair said...

I think I know exactly what splash you're talking about. Like page 7 in the first issue. White background, with his body perforated by bullets. Beautiful. I showed it to someone randomly too. It was too amazing not to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home