Monday, February 07, 2005

Impunctual! It's Mr. Chair's Comic Book Pick of the Week!

So late. My boss broke her shoulder last week and I got called into work late right after I went to the comic store. It took me days to get around to reading them all. How come all the bad stuff happens to me?

But seriously, the MCCBPotW was pretty easy. The Losers, by Andy Diggle and Jock, was great. Rough sex scene with two major characters, two other major characters taken out or close to it. And a sweet cover of the Losers walking over the Union Jack. Diggle's British, and took the American characters to the UK for the first time since their creation. I can't remember if I wrote about the Losers yet, so here's a rundown of why it's so cool. Diggle writes these great conspiracy action thriller plotlines, and Jock illustrates them so they really move on the page. His pacing and cartoony characters make for action sequences on the same caliber as Scud: The Disposable Assassin, the greatest comic of its time during the late 90s. It's basically about this team of gung ho army guys who get set up for a fall by a mysterious CIA underboss who is somehow related to every bad thing America does. They fake their deaths and regroup as this phantom team of renegade soldiers. A la the A-Team, they each have their own specialties and back stories, and they're all really cool. So read it. It's fun. It's better than any shootemup action movie Hollywood has put out in the last, um, ever. (Was Face Off good? I want to say yes, but I'm having a hard time deciding.)

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got the second trade of Losers so I'm not caught up to the new ones, but my pick HAS to be Lapham's DETECTIVE COMICS. It has the same mood as Azzarello/Risso's run, but in a totally different way. Lapham is a wordsmith like Azzarello, but he gets REALLY dark. I haven't sen Batman this dark since... forever. Amazing book with some nice art. Read it or wait for the trade, but this needs to be in everyone's hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home