Thursday, November 18, 2004

Mr. Chair's comic book pick of the week!

New feature in the lounge!
This week is easy. Whenever a new Stray Bullets comes out, you have to read it last. That or just don't buy any other comic books and read David Lapham's latest multiple times. The new Stray Bullets doesn't disappoint, even after the long wait. That's the difference between someone like Lapham, and say Brian Michael Bendis. When the former writer comes out with a new release, it's an event. You want to put his comics on a shelf. Bendis, Marvel's all-star writer of a thousand titles, has one or two new comic books every week. I always read them first, because I know that they're entertaining, quick reads, and largely forgettable. Sort of like an appetizer for each Wednesday's new shipment.

Not so with Stray Bullets this week or any other. Lapham's black and white art demands extensive examination. His storytelling pulls you along steadily, carefully. You know something big is going to happen. It could be a nasty violent panel, or it could happen in the gutter, between frames. This week the story continues to follow our heroine in highschool, as she provides Lapham a pair of eyes to witness the horrible things that we all know happen in the teenage years. Well-intentioned Tony doesn't stand a chance.

Footnote: Last week's belated pick shall be Iron Man, by Warren Ellis. A decaying superhero book, which I adore from childhood, gets an update by the greatest scifi comic book writer out there. Ellis is at the top of his game, and everything he touches lately turns to gold.

3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Hey-

Came across your blog today. Good stuff. Hope your weekday studies are going well.

Noticed you were an Arizona college basketball fan -- and agree with your thoughts on the game against San Diego. Hoping you could add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd very much appreciate a link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, http://collegeball.blogspot.com
College Basketball Blog

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Hey-

Came across your blog today. Good stuff. Hope your weekday studies are going well.

Noticed you were an Arizona college basketball fan -- and agree with your thoughts on the game against San Diego. Hoping you could add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd very much appreciate a link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, http://collegeball.blogspot.com
College Basketball Blog

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Zackataca said...

I must admit that I love the Stray Bullets in a bad, bad way, but I have to wait for the collections to come out before I buy. I started getting back into comics relatively recently and I'm doing my best to keep my habit under control. If I start buying too many individual issues, I fear my collector bug will come back and I'll end up like my cousin. He lives in a two-bedroom apartment and his only roommate is comics. A whole frickin' room full. I wish I could just read them and toss them, but there is something inside of me that just won't let it happen. I definitely don't treat them as carefully as I did when I was young, I don't board and bag everything that I buy, but I still cringe a little if a cover gets bent. I'm skating a fine line.
Another reason I don't like to buy too many monthlies is the reason that I got out of them in the first place. There got to be a point where you would wait a whole month for a new issue to come out, and then nothing would happen in that issue (Spawn springs to mind. Blah). I know this isn't true with Stray Bullets and a handful of other really good stuff, but I guess I just want to make sure I get my money's worth when it comes to story. I still need to get my monthly fix though. I read Marvel Knights 4, Dare Devil, and Spider-Man, and the regular Fantastic Four title, and I usually buy anything Hellboy. There are also the occasional one-time series I'll pick up. The Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men, for example. And Eightball when they come out. Why does this list keep getting longer?
Oh, and speaking of Master Whedon, I finally read Fray. Good stuff. Want more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home