Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Confessions From a Suburban Nightmare

As I am currently staying with my Father and Stepmother – not to be confused with “moving back home”, a subtle difference but a difference – I once again find cable TV at my disposal. For the past 7 years (4 in college and 3 in Chicago) I was basically without, with the exception of a view months in the Windy. I could never justify paying for it with the tax bracket I most frequently find myself in. But I have it now and with it has come a few guilty pleasures I feel the need to confess to you here and now. Feel free to offer suggestions for penance as ye see fit.
And keep in mind, for the most part, if the TV is on and I’m in front of it, I’m taking advantage of one of the 100 or so movie channels they get, but there are a few exceptions. The Daily Show is one. No shame there. Here comes the shame.
This is hard, but here goes:
1.) reruns of the Gilmore Girls
2.) Live! w/ Regis and Kelly
I can’t believe I’m releasing this information to the ether, but it’s done. Let me explain.
I start each day somewhere between 8 and 9 with a walk, run or bike ride. When I return home I make breakfast and when I eat, I like to watch TV and I don’t want to commit to a movie. Live! usually has good guests, it’s better than The View, I find Regis oddly charming at that hour and, well… fine-ass Kelly Ripa. Yes please. And I can turn it off whenever I want. Really. I don’t have a problem.
And when lunchtime rolls around... there they are, every man’s mother-daughter fantasy come true, plus snappy, clever dialogue. Or something. I haven’t put my finger on it quite yet. Regardless, this confession was really hard for me so please be kind. And if anyone out there feels like revealing guilty pleasures of their own, I will show kindness in return. Anyone? Don’t be scared. You might even feel better afterward. Anyone? Anyone?

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Mr. Chair said...

I have a magical TV that contorts time and space, so I don't channel flip much. But I have my share of television indulgences.
1. I confess to Regis, but mostly because I love watching his senility creep in. And Kelly... recently pregnant?! You'd never know.
2. DeGrassi Junior High, the next generation. This is a Canadian teen drama that you may remember from its original 80s version on PBS. I love to watch them say "Soary" instead of "Sorry," and laugh and laugh.
3. Monster House/Pimp my ride/Monster Garage/Trading Spaces and so on. All the same show. All retarded. All a joy to watch.
4. Nip/Tuck. This one's not so guilty because it's a really good show. But so melodramatic and over the top. Pure joy.
5. The mother of them all: The O.C. I look forward to the adventures of the Cohen family and Ryan Atwood in their Newport babylon every week with giddy anticipation. Who can resist a show about hot, so hot, wealthy teens in California? Who can resist Phantom Planet's triumphant theme song? Who can resist a sneak preview of the next hot indy rock college band EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! Who can resist Summer and Marisa, and sometimes the hot moms, in bikinis EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Catfish Vegas said...

It's hard to turn away from the TV during my Monday night marathon of Las Vegas and CSI: Miami.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home