Thursday, June 24, 2004

We're living in a sci-fi world

And I'm a sci-fi girl.

This is the second time this week that I've heard something in the news and considered, "Huh, I might be dreaming right now, and when I wake up I'll tell people, 'Oh shit, I just remembered this crazy dream I had where...'" You know those dreams where it's tough to tell the difference between what's reality and sleepytime, except for one thing, like instead of reading books you snort lines of info, or super-smart monkeys have replaced teachers.

The first time was when a private foundation sent a manned ship into space and landed. That's actually a Warren Ellis plotline. Granted, the ship is sent into space on a giant ramp that runs along a mountain ridge. But still, it happened in last month's Global Frequency. I still can't believe this actually took place. I think there's been this track of thought that holds space travel in a government context. Like it's greater than a person and must only be approached by something like a nation. Thinking of a privately engineered science project shooting a guy into space draws that same expression as the monkey for teacher dream.

Then I read today that German scientists found a toddler who is stronger than many adults. The reason: he's a mutant. His DNA has mutated to prevent a protein that limits muscle growth. What the fuck! There is a little German boy with superpowers .... and I read it in the news.

I keep checking my mailbox for a notice that it's almost time to go to Carousel. Still it's not really scary, is it? It's pretty cool. Stuff changes. New, big things happen. Ellis said in a recent newsletter that he was just starting up a story about superhuman mutation, and, "Keeping up with the news is the worst thing about my job."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Manga to read, They Might be Giants to listen to, and Magic the Gathering to play.

2 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Catfish Vegas said...

That's funny, I read about that German boy and didn't for a second think of any super-hero stuff.
I thought that if scientists can isolate this mutation and somehow reproduce it in athletes, the entire world of sports will change instantly. All records of athletic achievement cruble in an instant...

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Mr. Chair said...

what a jock

 

Post a Comment

<< Home